Sunday, August 29, 2010

OMG What a bag lol

Well this is the first time i've tried to make a wet felted bag. What a laugh.  I used Polwarth Fibre and had so much trouble felting it although i think it was me and not the fibre.  After about an hour of rolling and rubbing i gave up and threw it in the washing machine and then the dryer.  It came out all nice and crinkly of course so i had to iron it lol  I could NOT get the handle right so i'll try that bit again but i still had fun and i'll try again using different fleece.  What do you think the best fibre is for bag making. I'd really like to be able to make myself and nice big bag but after this practise one i'm not sure i have the patients lol 

                                           I'm loving it all though and glad i'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Your bag is SO wonderful, Karen. And this is your first ? I dont belive it ! I love that litle flower.

    Me too is glad you`r back in business !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Thankyou my lovely friend, you always say such nice things xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great . What is the micron count of the fiber you were using ? I can never seem to get larger micron fiber to felt unless I layer it with merino . Then again, I am not known for my patience with wet felting . I don't mind working 20 hours with the needle but have about a 2 hour attentions span with wet felting .

    The dryer is our "friend" . I always use it once my fiber is at least 1/2 felted and it will harden just about anything .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Krex
    I think this about 18 micron, thats why i had so much trouble felting it, its so soft and silky and lol i know exactly what you mean sitting for 20hours with a needle is nothing , i think its the elbow grease we need for Wet felting, Its hard work. Have you tried corriedale or a merino cross or gotland , its a bit coarser and easier to use, but some of them would be a bit harder on your skin if your making something to wear. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Krex, for needle felting you really cant go past Norwegian C1, its the best fibre for sculpture, I love just about any short fibre fleece to use with the needle , you dont seem to get any lines in your work and felts beautifully. xo

    ReplyDelete